Do you need support?
Look no further. Home-Start Barnet and Harrow offers a range of support to local families, at whatever stage of parenting they find themselves:
- Regular home visits in Barnet and Harrow
- A family group two mornings a week at Grahame Park Estate in Barnet
- Parenting programmes in partnership with a number of Children centres
- Support and advice with money problems in Harrow and firstname.lastname@example.org – supporting families who need practical help managing their finances, as well as workshops in children’s Centres
- Domestic violence programmes, including play therapy groups for children
- Family health coaching to improve the physical and emotional well being of young people or families, via one-to-one sessions in the home, for up to 6 months
- Perinatal (pregnancy and new mum) health coaching to improve the physical and emotional well being of mums and their babies
- Work experience in the office
- Trips and outings for families
Usually you can refer yourself to us, or a professional working with you can refer you with your consent. You can download a referral form from here and return it to us at email@example.com Alternatively, please do call us to talk through any of the services we offer on 0208 371 0674 .
Browse our services
Home-Start Barnet & Harrow offers many different services to parents and families in the Barnet and Harrow areas. Each of them is listed below. Click on the title or the plus symbol to open the details up for each service we offer.
Family Support at Home
We can visit any family who lives in the borough of Barnet or Harrow, who has at least one child under five and is going through a difficult time. This can be anything from feeling isolated, being new to the area, suffering from post-natal depression or finding it hard to cope with twins or triplets.
Volunteers visit the family once a week and support them in a variety of practical or emotional ways. They may accompany the parent on outings, shopping trips or to keep appointments, play with the children while the parent gets on with something else at home or has a much-needed rest, or simply sit and chat if that is what is needed. It’s simple, but it works!
The aim of the volunteer is to help your family overcome the immediate issues you face, and empower you to live confidently and independently of Home-Start Barnet.
The trained volunteer will:
- Provide support to families for up to three hours a week, over an agreed period of time.
- Focus on building your confidence in your own ability to cope with your situation
- Listen to your concerns
- Give practical help
- Encourage families to integrate into the local community and benefit from the help provided by other organisations/groups
- Help strengthen your parenting skills and relationships with your children
How can I access this service?
You can refer yourself to us, or a professional working with you can refer you with your consent.
For more information call us on 020 8371 0674.
You can also download a referral form from here and return it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We run a twice weekly family Drop-In session (Thursday and Friday mornings) on the Grahame Park Estate in Colindale. This has been running successfully for more than ten years.
Aims & features
- Children provided with a wide variety of fun and educational toys, plenty to go round!
- Opportunity for children to socialise with other children in a friendly environment
- Parents can make arts an d crafts with their children
- Parents have opportunity to meet other parents and to chat over a tea/coffee
- An opportunity for parents to discuss concerns confidentially
- Regular programmes, special holiday events, visitors and trips
When: Thursdays and Fridays, 10 A.M. – 12 Noon
Where: The Community Centre, The Concourse, Grahame Park, NW9 5XB
Map: Follow this link to see where the location is. (opens a map in a new window, close window to return here)
A range of parenting programmes are on offer
We provide a range of parenting programmes, depending on the needs of the community and particular families. All of them are based on evidence, research and practice. We know they work.
Strengthening Families Strengthening Communities (SFSC)
This is a culturally sensitive programme for families who want to reduce the risks associated with family and community violence. It is most suitable for families with a child between the ages of 8 and 12. Parents attend 13 weekly group sessions where they learn strategies for strengthening their family relationships and increasing their community involvement.
Triple P Teens – Postive Parenting Programme
Triple P is a parenting programme, but it doesn’t tell you how to be a parent. It’s more like a toolbox of ideas. You choose the strategies you need. You choose the way you want to use them. It’s all about getting the support you need.
- Raise happy, confident teenagers
- Manage misbehaviour and improve family life
- Set rules and routines that everyone respects and follows
- Encourage behaviour you like
- Take care of yourself as a parent
- Feel confident you’re doing the right thing
Our next Triple P Teens Parenting Programme begins on Tuesday 27th February 2018 at St Peter’s Bourne. Please contact Jacque from St Peters Bourne to book your place on the course – 0208 445 5535
Incredible Years Parenting Programme – Webster Stratton
The Incredible Years programme focuses on strengthening parenting skills, such as positive discipline and confidence. It also fosters parents’ involvement in their children’s school experiences to help improve their academic, social and emotional outcomes, and to help reduce conduct problems.
The Parent programmes are grouped according to age. Babies & Toddlers (0-3 years), BASIC Early Childhood (3-6 years), BASIC School-Age (6-12 years) and ADVANCED (6-12 years)
Family Links – The Nurturing Programme
The Nurturing Programme is delivered over 10 weeks and provides simple, effective tools to help adults and children:
- understand and manage feelings and behaviour
- improve relationships at home and in school
- improve emotional health and wellbeing
- develop self-confidence and self-esteem; crucial ingredients for effective parenting and learning
Adults are given tips on how to
- build on pre-existing parenting skills
- use positive behaviour management, communication and relationship strategies
- look after their own emotional needs, so they can parent more effectively
The course is designed to improve the quality of family life by helping parents and carers support their children. It is based on the idea that parents, as well as children are learning all the time.
It is delivered across five sessions of structured workshops. The programme raises parenting skills through working on agreed topics and subjects, boosting confidence and self-esteem. Parents can get a certificate at the end of the course.
Antenatal Course – Young Mums To Be (YMTB) – Skills for Life Competence Award
This is an accredited course for pregnant teenagers and their partners, which was developed by teenage mothers along with qualified trainers and health professionals. The programme aims to improve basic skills and encourage young mums and dads to see training, further education and work as real possibilities after childbirth. The course is accredited through NCFE and is a Level 1 Award. A certificate can be achieved by completing the units within the YMTB training pack.
If you are interested in running a parenting programme or attending one, please call us on 0208 371 0674 or contact us by email.
Support and Advice with Money Problems
Home-Start Money Smart
We offer one to one and/or group support to families who would benefit from practical help around managing their finances. This may include decision making, confidence building, planning and budgeting, smart shopping, saving tips, avoiding debt traps and supporting their children to be Money Smart. This service is now available in Barnet and Harrow.
We also offer workshops to Children’s Centres and other organisations. For more information, please contact Trupti or Kirpal on 0208 371 0674 or use out contact us page.
Women’s Support Group
Together with London Borough of Barnet, we deliver the Women’s Support Group for mothers in Barnet who have experienced domestic abuse. This is a rolling 8 week programme delivered at two childrens centres in Barnet and referral is by CAF.
We also deliver a therapeutic play group for children aged 7-10, whose lives have been impacted by domestic abuse in partnership with Every Step Matters.
For more information, please contact Suzanne or Trupti on 0208 371 0674
Family Health Coaches
A trained volunteer Family Health Coach visits the family home
“’A’ was wonderful. I felt very comfortable with her. If it wasn’t for you guys I wouldn’t be attending these courses or have the confidence to mix with other people. Before, I didn’t have the confidence to fit into a group.”
A trained volunteer Family Health Coach visits the family home once a week for up to six months. Using life-coaching techniques, she or he can mentor you alone, or your whole family together, in one-to-one sessions.
Our Coaches offer psychological coping strategies, self-care techniques, support to engage with specialist services, mentoring around healthy living, household management and parenting. They also offer support to resolve housing and debt issues and work together with other local services to help you achieve your objectives.
Additionally, Coaches offer support to access appropriate health services in order to improve your physical and emotional health and wellbeing. We are familiar with other local services and we are proactive in signposting and working together.
We endeavor to build families’ confidence and self-esteem, and to help you integrate into the local community – be it by volunteering, studying, a return to work, or by participating in positive community activities
How can I access this service?
You can refer yourself to us, or a professional working with you can refer you with your consent. For more information call us on 020 8371 0674.You can also download a referral form from here and return it to us at email@example.com
Perinatal Health Coaches (Pregnancy and new mum)
Improving the health of new mums and mums-to-be
The aim of the volunteer Perinatal Health Coaches is to improve the physical and emotional well being of mums-to-be and new mums, together with their babies, using a holistic life-coaching model. Perinatal Health coaches are able to support parents with weekly coaching sessions, for three to six months.
We aim to:
- reduce family isolation and build social networks;
- support parents to attend antenatal hospital appointments;
- help prepare the home for a new baby;
- offer emotional support to parents at a time when life is changing and challenging;
- increase access to health and community services (including children’s centres);
- provide support around budgeting, debt, household management and parenting.
- Perinatal Health Coaches also offer support to access mental health, substance abuse and Domestic Violence services where required, and will work closely with midwives, GPs, health visitors and children’s centres.
Who can apply to have a Perinatal Health Coach?
You can apply any time from the baby’s conception to one year after having your baby, whether this is your first pregnancy, or you already have a family. You must live in the London Borough of Barnet.
How can I access this service?
You can refer yourself to us, or a professional working with you can refer you with your consent. For more information call us on 020 8371 0674. You can also download a referral form from here and return it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trips and Outings for Families
Outings and Events
We run events and outings for families throughout the year. This includes a day trip to the seaside in the summer holidays, a time when tensions at home can be high, offering fun, relaxation and crucial bonding time together with each other.
Want to find out more, please contact us.
Family Supper Project
Every Thursday evening between 4.30pm and 6.00pm, we run a Family Supper Club at HAB (Homeless Action in Barnet) Centre on Woodside Road in North Finchley. The club is run by our Family Supper Coordinator, Filomena Komodromou, who is an advocate for healthy eating.
If you have young children and would like to attend the Family Supper Club, please give the office a call on 0208 371 0674 or email email@example.com
If you would like the recipes from the Family Supper Club, please click here.
Registered office: Home-Start Barnet & Harrow Stephens' House 17, East End Road London N3 3QE Registered Charity No: 1109550 Limited Company No: 5379764
Site Content Copyright ©2017 Home-Start Barnet & Harrow